The case between the Federal government and the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, has been adjourned till Tuesday January 22nd.
This came after a heated argument between the defence and prosecution team over the manner in which the CJN Justice Onnoghen was served his invitation to appear before the CCT.
While Wole Olanipekun SAN, the lead counsel in Onnoghen defence team argued that the CJN was not personnally served the letter of invitation and so cannot appear, the lead counsel in the prosecution team, Aliyu Umar SAN, argued that Onnoghen’s Personal Assistant received the letter of invitation on behalf of Onnoghen and so there was no reason for Onnoghen not to have honored the invitation.
Olanipekun said he and other defence lawyers only appeared in court in protest against the jurisdiction of the tribunal.
He also said that, from the account given by the court official earlier in the proceedings, the CJN was not served with the charges and and summons personally, but through his aide.
Olanipekun insisted that the law requires that the defendant be served personally, saying that invitation by proxy is not acceptable by law.
After much debate, the Chairman of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, Umar Danladi, adjourned the case till January 22nd to give room for Onnoghen to be properly served.