Court Rejects Plea By Oscar Pistorius To Have His 15-Years Murder Sentence educed.

advert

South Africa’s highest court has rejected Oscar Pistorius’s request to appeal against his 15-year jail term for killing his girlfriend in 2013.

The 31-year old former Paralympic athlete, had asked the Constitutional Court to review the sentence, which was increased from six to 15 years in November. But the court ruling released on Monday said that ‘the application for leave to appeal is dismissed’ as it was not a constitutional matter. The ruling was dated March 28.

Oscar shot dead his girl friend, Reeva Steenkamp in the early hours of Valentine’s Day in 2013 when he fired four times through the locked door of his bedroom toilet, later saying that he thought she was an intruder.

 

He was originally convicted of culpable homicide – the equivalent of manslaughter – in 2014, but his conviction was upgraded to murder on appeal.

‘This is the end of the road. There are no other legal options available,’ National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku told AFP, welcoming the ruling.

 

The year before Pistorius killed his girlfriend, he became the first double-amputee to race at the Olympics when he competed at the London 2012 games. Previously a role model for disabled people worldwide, his trial generated international headlines.

It is unclear when Pistorius, who is detained in prison outside the capital Pretoria, could be eligible for parole.

advert